Saturday 10 December 2011

Finding Beauty Amongst the Mud


You must be a lotus, unfolding its petals when the sun rises in the sky, unaffected by the slush where it is born or even the water which sustains it! - Sai Baba




Thanks ever so much for stopping by and seeing what I've been up to!

Today's post features another variation of wash and pen, substituting black ink and a very delicate brush for the pen. (I petrified I was going to spill the ink on the paper, on myself, or on the floor.  Or muck up the brushwork, making a massive mistake, thereby destroying the painting.  Trust me when I say trying this technique is not for the faint hearted.   This experience has taught me I do like to create with my heart in my mouth - does this make me an artistic thrill-seeker?)  

I'm actually pleased with how my lotus flower turned out.  I had a vision in my mind of the effects I wanted to created and how I wanted it to look.  I think it actually kinda worked.  Yippee!

[Yes, in case you were wondering, my previous sentence was deliberately worded that way, for I am actually quite surprised this painting wasn't a disaster.  I created this lotus flower only using images as a source of inspiration and then drew my own flower based on what I thought looks "noice" - so it is completely drawn free-hand.  That always is a challenge for me.  I'm just so relieved that the flower actually looks like a flower!]

May you all find beauty this weekend, no matter how much mud surrounds you.

I'll see you next week.  Wish me luck - my children started holidays for six weeks yesterday.  Eeek!

Kate
x

3 comments:

  1. I love this painting you have done. I have always loved lotus flowers but now even more with all the water lilies on our dam (nearly the same).

    You are trying so many different ways of painting, it is great to see what can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind words KJ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a happy coincidence - I happen to absolutely love this particular painting! I am still moving it around trying to decide which shelf it sits on - pink, blue, green, black, purple-grey?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!