Monday 19 March 2012

It's Not Everyday You Get To Create A New Species...

I'd like to introduce you all to the Kate-is Birdem, a little bird I accidentally "invented" via a series of small errors yesterday whilst experimenting with my coloured pencils on Canson Mi Tientes pastel paper.  Funny, I'd never thought of myself as being an Ornithologist before...


Kate-is Birdem can be recognised by it's unique call of
"Put that away this instant before you hurt yourself!"
If you look closely, you'll note that my Kate-is Birdem is a unique combination of the Fairy Wren I painted using my pastels a couple of months ago, and the Willie Wagtail I painted a couple of weeks ago.  You see, my intention was originally to paint another Willie Wagtail yesterday and I only realised the error of my ways when I had already way over-committed to the artwork.  In terms of explanation as to how this could possibly happen, all I have to say is "Don't ask!".  It is what it is and Ego sum qui sum (that's me just being a fancy-pants and saying and "I am what I am" :-)).

Amusingly, hubby said "Kate, it may not exist, but you certainly make a convincing pretend bird.  You're certainly getting the knack of using your pencils and pastels."
  
Awww, isn't he sweet?!

Finally, in case you are wondering about my experiment with using pencils on the sanded pastel paper, my recommendation would be not to try it.  The paper will seriously chew through your pencils and you will really have to layer very intently to get any depth to your work.  It was driving me crazy.  (And I was already feeling pretty crazy when I recognised the errors of my ways.)  If you are feeling rebellious like you still want to try it, don't say I didn't warn you... ;-)

Anyway, thanks so much for stopping by. I'll be sure to share my latest with you over the next couple of days.

Kate
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!