Saturday 3 March 2012

Self Portrait #6: It's Me Again.... In Colour!

Following my last post where I completed a little pencil sketch of moi, I decided I wanted to try drawing myself yet again, but with an added colourful twist.

No, in case you are wondering, I am not obsessed with me.  It's just that royalty and embarrassment free models are currently few and far between.   Heck, even the cat won't sit still for a photo.

Ultimately, I concluded that drawing myself would be the best option, because if I stuff myself up, no-one else will be subjected to looking completed picture thinking to themselves "Boy oh boy, I never knew that I looked like such a freak. I never before realised my nostrils were so big, my eyes so lopsided and that my hair is actually blue.  I'll never be able to go out in public again!". No Siree, this whole artistic caper is not about creating insecurities in others, that's for sure.

I decided to draw me on some Canson Mi Tientes textured paper I had lying around and once again used the (in)famous "not quite married and still young and pretty" photo files from many moons ago.  I used my cheap and cheerful Monte Marte pastel pencils, a few of my Conte pastels, and my Faber Castell coloured pencils to try and recreate me.  This is what I ended up with:


I have to be totally honest with you and say I've decided I absolutely HATE using this type of pastel paper.  It does grip the pastels somewhat upon initial application, but it doesn't take long for the "tooth" of the paper to be filled making it harder to add many layers of pastel.  I also have decided I prefer the look of a smoother surface.  This makes me look like I'm in dire need of an exfoliant.

When I reflect on today's artwork, I'm pleased to feel like I have at least I have learnt something new, regardless of how the final product turned out.  I guess it ultimately means that even if in some ways I'm a little dodgy, in other respects I am a winner.  Just like life, I can live with that.

Thanks for seeing what I've been up to - enjoy your weekend!

Kate
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!