Wednesday 27 June 2012

Flaming Robins!

Goodness me, what a week.  Day three of the winter school holidays and I'm already spent.

To try and re-centre myself for the next couple of days, I thought I'd try a little pastel painting.  It's my artistic equivalent of "Mummy Meditation".

You know, when I think about it, I reckon all "Mummies" have (or at least should have) some kind of way to escape the world and unwind.  And we all seem to have different ways to achieve that calm, serene, 'all is well with my world' state.  Some meditate; some knit; some run; some have a stiff glass of scotch; some have a cup of peppermint tea; some go and chop fire-wood after drawing the faces of people who have annoyed them on the timber using a sharpie pen....

I bet you are glad I don't have a fireplace here in Brisbane.  Can't you just picture it now... Random person "Hey Kate, this looks like my face on the kindling!  Why's that?"  Kate: "No reason, quick, light the match!". 



I've seen a few of these Flame Robins flittering around my yard these past few days.  My goodness, they are tiny 10 centimetre bundles of gorgeous energy.  Honestly, I wish you could see the orange breast in person - it really is magnificent.

Oh Great.  I realise I now sound like one of those "bird watcher people" that I used to snicker at in my youth.   I tell you, from getting crows feet to suddenly being interested in a crows nest - ageing isn't pretty once it gets underway.

This little painting is shown actual size here, just for you.  (I know, I know, I'm so kind sometimes.)  I painted it on Art Spectrum paper and used a mixture of Derwent, Conte and Faber Castel Pastel Pencils and Conte and Art Spectrum Pastel Sticks.  I tried to put my WetCanvas "Edges" art lesson for the month into practice, sharpening some edges and softening others.  Is it starting to look three dimensional?

I'm not sure.  My five year old told me it was "Super!".  I guess only time will tell.


Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a wonderful, calm week.


Kate
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!