Friday 3 August 2012

Not Throwing Paint - Part 1

"Life is a blank canvas, and you need to throw all the paint on it you can." ~ Danny Kaye


Hey There!

I liked this quote so much I thought I'd give it a try.  So I did.  And it was REALLY fun!  I have to be honest here and disclose that I did not actually throw any paint.  I decided Danny was a little misguided if he thought my 'throwing' paint around would be a fabulous idea.  Actually, it may surprise you, however I'm seriously against the idea of any 'throwing around paint' practices.

Really.

Seriously. 

In fact, I'm so much seriously so against it, I've decided to take a stand against the suggestion of this practice and instead offer you the two following case studies to consider why I am right and Danny is wrong:

Case Study #1:  I'd challenge Danny to spend two hours of his life, like I did a couple of years ago, scraping tiny speckles of paint off my brand new timber flooring using my thumb nail following a "fantastic five minute throwing paint experience" that my then four year old decided to try in a moment of "free expression".  Remember Danny, that's two hours of my life I can't get back.  Gone.  Forever. Two hours gone when I could have been watching Neighbours, or Home and Away instead.*  It took ages for my thumb nail to grow back and worse, it totally wrecked my manicure.  This alone should be enough for my argument to be an open and shut case against any throwing business.  However, I know I need to ensure that I really get you all onside.  As such, I offer you in addition;

Case Study #2:  You may marvel at Jackson Pollock's "Blue Poles" and I agree it is incredibly thought provoking painting.  However have you ever considered his poor wife?  Have you ever thought that maybe Jackson made an awful mess and poor Lee (his wife) was then forced to use her thumb-nail to scrape tiny paint splats off her brand new austrian blinds and newly installed wood-panelled feature wall?  You can bet the words "Jackson, I'll tell you what you can do with your poles!" left her lips more than once as she also wrecked her manicure, that's for sure.   

See?  Danny, I think I've made my point.  If you're going to suggest people throw paint around, you could at least add something about using lots of newspaper or doing it outside on grass. OK?

Still, despite its areas of deficiency, I really liked this quote.  So I decided instead to focus on the part of the quote that states we should all use heaps and heaps of paint.  


Today's offering is the result. 

It's not finished yet.  I know it needs more, but I'm just not sure what it needs more of.  Any suggestions?  Do let me know!  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Sorry...?

Pardon...? 


Oh...!  You think Danny was being philosophical about this 'throwing' business?  Not literal?


Ohhhhhhhh.... ;-)


Anyway, have a great weekend everyone, I'll see you soon!

Kate
x
 *Only kidding!  I'm not going to to tell you what I watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!