Friday 22 March 2013

Introducing Liquid Graphite Girl

Oh goodness, I simply cannot begin to tell you how much I adore exploring the use of different artistic mediums.

I think it's because I enjoy the anticipation and adventure of finding out whether the new medium and I will 'connect' together artistically (ie. my beloved pastels) or become arch enemies (ie. my nemesis, watercolour).

With this in mind, it was with great pleasure that I had the opportunity to have a play with using a product called liquid graphite in art class last night. The product is literally what you think it is. Graphite. Liquid. Cool, huh?!

After thinking about it for a little while, I decided to attempt a portrait using strong line work. (I must confess this style of art scares me, because there is nowhere to hide. Eek!) After twenty or so minutes worth of work, I ended up with this little study (what you see on screen is pretty close to actual size):


Not bad. Perhaps looking a little like a Disney princess, but at least she's looking relatively human. I think she almost looks like a super-hero girl in disguise (hence the title of this post). I wonder what her super-powers would be? Able to correct misplet misspelt words with a single blink perhaps?

By now I'm sure you are wondering what I thought of liquid graphite (if not, I'm going to tell you anyway). Welllllll.....

I *loved* it!  I found the consistency to be a little thicker than watercolour paint (good) and that I was able to actually control the product with reasonable ease (even better). Honestly, it made it an absolute pleasure to use and I'm going to put this right up the top of my art supply wish list (take note, hubby!).

Liquid Graphite Girl and I will finish up by saying thanks ever so much for stopping by, I'll see you around soon!

Kate
x

2 comments:

  1. Love this, reminds me of a particular little girl ;)
    Is the liquid graphite a pen or pencil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there TreeHugger71, Thanks for stopping by! I can most certainly see the resemblance now that you mention it! The liquid graphite actually comes in a little jar that you dip a paint brush into to apply. I really must get around to buying a jar...

      Delete

Thank you very much for reading and taking the time to comment. I get so excited and love reading what you have to say!